NIAID has produced recombinant adenovirus type 4 (Ad4), SARS-CoV-2 spike, vectors for administration to humans. These recombinant vaccines permit rapid development of high levels of neutralizing antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in experimental animals. This vaccine is designed to improve the durability of the immune response by inducing mucosal and systemic immunity. Further, this system should be incredibly simple and efficient when producing vaccine at scale. This technology is available for licensing for commercial development in accordance with 35 U.S.C. 209 and 37 CFR part 404, as well as for further development and evaluation under a research collaboration.
- Stimulates a durable immune response
- Induction of mucosal and systemic immunity
- Potential for transmission interruption
- Intranasal administration minimizes the impact of pre-existing immunity
- Notable improvement for manufacturing yield and cost, ease of administration, and distribution as compared to current candidates