- Proof of principle has been demonstrated on a prototype device.
- Testing a second generation device right now with smaller dimension that could be implanted into transplanted organs and used in mm sized catheters for interventional devices or the digestive tract.
- Plans to develop methods to decouple elements for use in MRI detector arrays.
The invention is in the field of MRI, and more specifically relates to device and method that may provide great improvements in the area of interventional MRI. The technology describes an MRI detection coil that has been integrated with a parametric amplifier to provide local signal detection fully integrated with amplification. This amplification is done in a way that is inherently wireless, thus enabling efficient signal transmission. The integrated MRI detector/amplifier can be used in a number of applications. First, it can replace conventional MRI amplification typically done with transistor, thus eliminating the need for wires. Second, it can replace what is traditionally used as part of implanted or catheter coils for interventional procedures with MRI. The advantage is that the signal can be amplified, and wireless transmission is part of the amplification scheme. Therefore signal can be transmitted from the subject in a way that provides detection at higher sensitivity than conventional coils without internal amplification.
MRI diagnostics and in particular in interventional MRI applications:
- The device can be used as part of a catheter MRI coil for MRI guided surgery.
- It can also be used as implantable NMR coils for localized spectroscopy with better sensitivity.
- The device can potentially be used as a free floating MRI detector/amplifier and swallowed for internal MRI detection as has been done quite successful with optical imaging devices for imaging the human intestine.
- There may be use in MRI coil arrays where interaction between wires in large element arrays is a problem.
- The detector/amplifier integrated system eliminates the need for transistors and is wireless, therefore heat is reduced and sensitivity of detection is increased.
- The system is compatible with interventional MRI devices.